In this article, we will take a detailed look at the end-to-end working scenario of setting up MSMQ monitoring with a real time scenario. Installing Message Queuing is out the scope of this document, to know more about installing message queue read here.
Let’s say, we are monitoring the MSMQ in a BizTalk environment provisioned in machine A and Biztalk360 is running in machine B, but which are running in the same domain. As an administrator, you wish to monitor the health of the Queue based on the below conditions and get notified if there are any threshold violations in the rule.
- Warn, when there are more than 50 Journals in the Queue or the Queue size is greater than or equals to 1000 KB
- Receive an error when there are more than 100 Dead Letters and the Journal count is equal to 50 in the Queue
The first and foremost step in Queue Monitoring is to create an alarm and map the alarm for Queue monitor alerts. Click here to understand the process of creating an alarm.
- Log into the BizTalk360 application
- Click 'Monitoring' in the navigation panel
- Click the expand button against 'Manage Mapping' tab and select 'Queues'
- Select the Alarm name (see Creating an alarm) from the drop down for which you would like to associate the alerts
- Click New Queue to open the Add New Queue blade
- Map the Queue path. You can get Queue path from the Queue properties screen. The Queue path will be in the following format "Domain Name\Message Queue Type (Private/System)\Queue Name".
To monitor Queues from another machine in the same domain, select Remote from the dropdown in the Queue path and map the Queue location.
- Configure the conditions for threshold alerts under Queue Configurations.
While creating a rule in Queue monitoring, You can add up to 5 conditions for alert thresholds based on your needs. For each condition you add, you can create 2 sub-conditions (AND/OR).
- Click Save Configurations to create monitoring for the Queue
- The Queue will be added under the MSMQ tab in Alarms-Queues screen
- The monitoring dashboard will reflect the health of the Queue in the graphical tree view. You can get the holistic view the error information associated with the alarm by clicking the Error Info button.
- In order to receive email notifications from BizTalk360 on the threshold violation alerts (and auto correction alerts), you need to configure the SMTP settings under BizTalk360 Settings. Follow the steps in this article to be able to configure the SMTP settings in BizTalk360. You will receive an email notification with the exact details of the status of the Queues.